Monday, April 7, 2008

Daniel Johnston!!!


Friday night a friend and I traveled a short distance to see and hear the GREAT songwriter and musician Daniel Johnston! It was more of a book signing than anything, but there was the rare pleasure of Daniel singing and playing the piano! He then stood up and played his guitar for a few songs. In the usual Daniel fashion he sang a couple then said thank you and goodbye, only to be reminded he had a few more minutes of his allotted 25 minutes...he then went on and played more. We then all lined up to get our copies of his book signed. A fine book at that! A very cute Japanese girl handed Dan a scarf to sign, and I was compelled to ask him "what is the weirdest thing you've ever been asked to sign..." He paused for a bit, and as usual with no eye contact, replied " a girl wanted me to sign her breast once..." "Did you?, I asked..."No I couldn't do that!" He replied. I then shook his hand. I've been a fan for a long time, and this was the first time seeing and meeting him. If you are not familiar with Dan's work you should...check out his myspace page to hear some great stuff!!!

No comments: